Black Cod With Roasted Sweet-And-Sour Onions
- 6 black cod fillets with skin - (6 oz ea)
- 1/2 cup good-quality sweet Sherry
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup unsalted butter - (2 sticks) room temperature
- 1 garlic clove peeled, flattened
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)*
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Pimentón de La Vera** (Spanish smoked paprika)
- Coarse kosher salt
- Roasted Sweet-And-Sour Onions (see recipe)
* Available in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.
** Available at some supermarkets, specialty foods stores, and by mail from La Tienda (888-472-1022; tienda.com).
Using sharp knife, make three 1/4-inch-deep, 2 1/2-inch-long diagonal cuts in skin of each fish fillet. Arrange fillets in single layer, skin side up, in 15- by 10- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Pour Sherry and 1/4 cup olive oil over; sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine butter and garlic in heavy medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until butter melts and garlic begins to brown, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard garlic clove. Add panko to butter (mixture will bubble); cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice; remove from heat. Stir in pimentón. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm while preparing fish.
Remove fish from marinade and drain. Sprinkle fish with coarse salt. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish fillets, skin side down, and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Turn fillets over; place skillet in oven and roast until fish is just opaque in center, about 2 minutes.
Spoon Roasted Sweet-and-Sour Onions into center of 6 plates. Top each serving with 1 fish fillet. Spoon sauce over and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Barley And Lentil Soup With Swiss... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple, Green Onion, And Jalapeño... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tunisian Fish Cakes With Lemon And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon-Wasabi Tea Sandwiches 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fillet Of Cod With Asparagus And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Cod With Orange, Caper And... 0/5 (0 Votes)