Barley And Lentil Soup With Swiss Chard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled carrots
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 10 cups low-salt chicken or vegetable broth or more if needed
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (14 1/2 oz)
- 2/3 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups coarsely-chopped Swiss chard - (packed) (abt 1/2 large bunch)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Heat oil in heavy large nonreactive pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; sauté until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Mix in cumin; stir 30 seconds.
Add 10 cups broth and barley; bring to boil. Reduce heat; partially cover and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice and lentils; cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
Add chard to soup; cover and simmer until chard is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in dill. Season soup with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth, if desired.
This recipe yields 10 first-course or 6 main-course servings.
You'll also love
- Apple, Potato, And Onion Gratin 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple, Green Onion, And Jalapeño... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Zucchini And Spinach Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Watercress, Radish, Endive Salad,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sauteed Radishes And Sugar Snap... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mediterranean Salad With Chickpeas... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spiced Pork With Celery Root Puree... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Polenta With Swiss Chard And... 0/5 (0 Votes)