Mini Bee Stings
- 1cup1 cup King Arthur Pastry Cream Filling mix*
- 2cups2 cups half & half or milk
- 2cups2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4teaspoons2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/3cup1/3 cup lukewarm milk
- 3tablespoons3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1large1 large egg
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4cup1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4cup1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4cup1/4 cup honey
- pinchpinch of salt
- 3/4cup3/4 cup sliced almonds
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1. Prepare the pastry cream filling according to package instructions. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.
2. To make the cakes: Mix and knead everything together to make a smooth dough. Cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
3. To make the topping: Combine the butter, sugar, honey, and salt, and bring to a gentle boil on the stovetop.
4. Remove from the heat, and stir in the almonds.
5. Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Pat each piece of dough into a flattened 3 1/2" circle.
6. Place each dough circle into the greased cups of a hamburger bun pan; or onto a baking sheet, spacing 2" to 3" apart. Prick each several times with a fork.
7. Spread the topping over the dough circles. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
8. If you're using the bun pan, place it on a baking sheet to catch any spills.
9. Bake the cakes for 20 to 22 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
10. Remove them from the oven, and after 10 minutes transfer them to a rack to cool.
11. When completely cool, cut the cakes in half; pipe or spread each of the bottom halves with 1/3 cup filling; and top with the remaining halves.