Tagliatelle With Shredded Beets, Sour Cream, And Parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups coarsely-grated peeled uncooked beets - (abt 3 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 1 container sour cream - (8 oz)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley divided
Melt butter with oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; stir until pale golden, about 1 minute. Add beets and cayenne; reduce heat to medium-low and sauté just until beets are tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
Drain pasta and return to pot. Stir in sour cream and 4 tablespoons parsley, then beet mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pasta to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 6 first-course or 4 main-course servings.
Test-Kitchen Tip: Surgical gloves (sold at drugstores) are ideal for protecting hands from staining when working with beets. Regular kitchen gloves work well, too, but they are a little more cumbersome.