Dirty Rice Scotch Eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped spicy smoked sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- Vegetable oil
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Sauté sausage in a large skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Add onion and next 2 ingredients; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in rice and next 3 ingredients. Cool 30 minutes. Stir in 2 large eggs and breadcrumbs.
2. Gently press rice mixture evenly around hard-cooked eggs to cover, using wet hands.
3. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium heat to 360°. Fry eggs, in 3 batches, 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning often. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels.