soup ESCAROLE SOUP (ZUPPA 01 SCAROLA)
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, prosciutto ends, sopressato, or
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound dry white beans, washed and drained
- 2 heads escarole, roughly chopped 1-inch pieces, (up to 4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- freshly grated Romano cheese
Brown the sausage or meat in a large soup pot. Remove and slice into
rounds or cubes and set aside.
Add the stock, garlic and several grindings of pepper to the soup pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, scraping all the browned bits
from the bottom of the pan. Add the beans, herbs, and cook, covered,
for 30 minutes, then add the meat. Simmer on lowest heat, until beans
are tender. Add the escarole and cook until escarole is soft.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Serve with plenty of freshly grated Romano and garlic bread for