Farmer's Market Watermelon Gazpacho
Gazpacho is a liquid salad that's perfect when you think you're too hot to eat. You don’t have to heat up the house to make it, and you can make it ahead of time. That’s my kind of hot weather dinner!
- 2 cups heirloom tomato
- 3 cups watermelon
- 1 small hot pepper, seeded with the ribs removed
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1/2 to 1 cup tomato juice or water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (leave out to make oil-free)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbs. fresh basil (lemon or lime basil works great)
- Big handful of chopped fresh mint leaves (orange or lime mint is my favorite)
- extra chopped tomato, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from healthyslowcooking.com
Puree the 2 cups of heirloom tomatoes, watermelon, hot pepper, lime or lemon juice, tomato juice (or water), olive oil and garlic in a blender or food processor until relatively smooth. Pour into a large bowl or pitcher and add in the minced veggies and herbs. Stir with a spoon to mix everything together.
Take a final taste and decide if you need to adjust the salt and pepper, or add any more herbs or lime juice. Once it’s the way you like it, put it in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
Garnish with fresh mint and chopped tomatoes.