Tomato Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette, Capers, and Basil
A salad that simple requires the finest ingredients to make it shine.
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large ripe beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 tablespoons rinsed salt-packed capers
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 fresh medium basil leaves, torn into approx. 1/2" pieces
Adapted from bpnappetit.com
Combine shallots, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sugar in a small bowl.
Gradually whisk in oil to blend.
Set vinaigrette aside.
Arrange tomatoes on a large platter. S
Sprinkle capers over; season with salt and peppers.
Scatter basil on top.
Whisk vinaigrette again; drizzle over salad.