Sliced Radishes And Watercress On Buttered Ficelle
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 18 thin diagonal slices ficelle or other narrow baguette
- Fleur de sel (fine French sea salt)
- 1 small bunch watercress trimmed
- 4 watermelon radishes very thinly sliced (or other large radishes)
- Edible flowers or daikon radish sprouts (optional) (available at farmers' markets specialty foods stores, and some super
Spread some butter over bread slices. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Top each bread slice with 2 watercress sprigs.
Spread 1 side of each radish slice with butter. Place 2 radish slices atop watercress, buttered-side down, overlapping slightly if necessary to fit. Top with flowers or sprouts, if desired. (Can be made 1 hour ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature.)
This recipe yields 18 pieces.
What to drink: Brut Champagne (or sparkling wine) sets a festive tone and can be poured throughout the meal.
Market tip: Watermelon radishes have white skins but are magenta inside; look for them at farmers' markets. Easter egg radishes (which have a purple, red, or pink skin) or regular radishes can be used.