Roasted Orange-Herb Game Hen
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as thyme, parsley, and mint)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 large Cornish game hen - (abt 1 1/2 lbs) halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dry Sherry
- 2 thin orange slices
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix first 3 ingredients in small bowl. Slide fingertips under skin of hen halves to loosen. Spread 1/4 of herb mixture under skin of each hen half. Rub skin with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place hen halves in shallow roasting pan.
Roast hen halves until golden and cooked through, adding broth after 10 minutes and basting twice throughout cooking time, about 30 minutes.
Transfer hen halves to platter. Place roasting pan directly atop burner over medium heat. Add juice, Sherry, and remaining herb mixture; boil until reduced, scraping up browned bits, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over hen halves, garnish with orange slices, and serve.
This recipe yields 2 servings.
Serve with: Baby red potatoes (tossed in olive oil and roasted alongside the hen) and buttered green beans.
Dessert: A Key lime pie from the bakery.