Roast Leg Of Lamb With Fennel Butter
- SEASONED BUTTER:
- 6 tablespoons butter - (3/4 stick) room temperature
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds crushed in plastic
- bag with mallet
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb - (6 to 6 1/2 lbs) well trimmed
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/3 cups low-salt chicken broth
- Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
For Seasoned Butter: Mix all ingredients with fork in medium bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)
For Lamb: Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 450 degrees. Pour 2 tablespoons oil into large roasting pan. Place pan directly atop 2 burners over medium-high heat. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Add lamb to pan and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Remove pan from heat. Brush lamb with half of seasoned butter.
Roast lamb 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; continue roasting until thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 130 degrees for medium-rare, about 40 minutes longer. Transfer to platter; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes.
Skim off fat from drippings in roasting pan. Place pan atop 2 burners over high heat. Add wine and broth. Boil until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 13 minutes. Whisk in remaining seasoned butter (sauce will be thin). Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish lamb with rosemary sprigs, if desired. Serve with sauce.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
What to drink: A red Bordeaux is the classic accompaniment to roast lamb. Other full-bodied reds, such as Burgundy or an aged Rioja, would also complement this menu.
You'll also love
- Ricotta- And Walnut-Stuffed... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Quick Strawberry-Orange Marmalade 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato And Green Olive Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Portuguese Sausage Sandwiches With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Fried Eggs, Caramelized... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lamb Chops With Artichokes And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Spiced Lamb Chops With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Halibut In Pernod Broth With... 0/5 (0 Votes)