Potato And Green Olive Stew
- 1/2 pound cracked green olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 pounds small red-skinned new potatoes peeled if desired, cut into 1/3"-thk slices
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 pound plum tomatoes halved, seeded, and diced
- Lemon wedges
Combine olives and lemon juice in medium bowl. Let marinate at least 3 hours at room temperature, tossing occasionally. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 5 minutes. Add potatoes, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and olives with lemon juice; stir to blend. Add 1 1/2 cups water and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Mix in tomatoes. Simmer uncovered until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer. Season stew with salt. Transfer to bowl. Garnish with lemon wedges.
This recipe yields 8 servings.