Indonesian Coconut Rice with Chicken and Zucchini
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 2/3 cups unsweetened coconut milk (one 13-ounce can)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
In a large deep frying pan or Dutch oven, heat the cooking oil over moderately high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Put the chicken in the pan and brown well on both sides, about 8 minutes in all. Remove. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Reduce the heat to moderately low.
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the coriander, cumin, rice, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in the coconut milk and the water. Add the chicken and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring the rice two or three times, until the rice and chicken are almost done, about 20 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, cover, and cook until done, about 7 minutes longer. Stir the lemon juice and cilantro into the rice.