Shrimp Toast Puffs with Two Sauces
- Soy-Garlic Sauce:
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 bacon slices, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tsp bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 3 T butter
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Cooking Spray
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 T finely chopped green onion tops
- 2 T seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce with garlic (such as KA-ME)
- 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
- Sweet Chili Sauce:
- 6 T sweet chili garlic sauce (such as Taste of Asia)
- 4 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
1. Preheat over to 425 degrees
2. To prepare puffs, place shrimp in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
3. Cook bacon in large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan (reserve bacon for another use). Add shrimp to reserved drippings in pan, and saute 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup green onions to pan. Saute 1 minute. Stir in ginger.
4. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1 cup water, butter and sugar in a large heavy saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasional with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to low; add flour stirring well until mixture is smooth and pulls away from sides of pan. Remove from heat. Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gently stir in shrimp mixture.
5. Drop dough by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce over temperature to 350 degrees (do not remove puffs from oven); bake an additional 10 minutes or until browned and crisp.
6. To prepare the soy garlic sauce, combine soy sauce and next 4 ingredients (through oil) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
7. To prepare sweet chili sauce, combine chili garlic sauce and 4 teaspoons vinegar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Serve sauces with shrimp puffs.