Beet Carpaccio With Goat Cheese And Mint Vinaigrette
- 12 beets - (abt 2" dia) trimmed
- 1 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese - (abt 5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup walnut oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place beets on sheet (if using both light- and dark-colored beets, place them on separate sheets to prevent discoloration). Sprinkle beets lightly with water. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until beets are tender when pierced with fork, about 40 minutes. Cool on sheet. Peel beets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Place in resealable plastic bag; chill.)
Using cheese slicer or knife, slice beets very thinly. Slightly overlap slices on 6 plates, dividing equally. Sprinkle with cheese, then shallot, salt, and pepper. Whisk vinegar, mint, oil, and sugar in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over beets. Sprinkle with chives.
This recipe yields 6 servings.