Chinese Chicken Salad
Use left-over chicken or store bought, precooked chicken in this main dish salad. Try pears, mandarin oranges, or whatever fruit you like.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 c dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3-1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 head Napa or Chinese cabbage, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 c cooked chunked boneless skinless chicken breast (12 oz)
- 1 small carrot, shredded
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the peanut oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and peanuts and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until the garlic is lightly toasted.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and canola oil. Cook for 2 minutes until heated through.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, chicken and carrot. Pour the warm dressing over the cabbage mixture; toss until well coated. Serve immediately.
4. If you need to prepare the chicken, trim any visible fat from 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast and place chicken in a saucepan. Add enough warm water to cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until no pink remains in the chicken. Remove the chicken from the water and let cool. Cut into bite-sized chunks, cover, and chill until ready to use.