- 1 1/2 cups quinoa*
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups finely-chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow tomatoes seeded, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* Note: A tiny, bead-shaped, ivory-colored grain available at natural foods stores.
Place quinoa in strainer. Rinse under cold running water until water runs clear; drain. Mix quinoa, 2 cups water, and salt in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is just tender and almost all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Drain. Set aside. (Quinoa can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover; chill.)
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broth. Cover; simmer until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add quinoa and oil; stir until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, onions, basil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields about 2 3/4 cups.