Penne with Chicken and Pesto
"I sometimes substitute chicken broth for half the heavy cream called for in the recipe to reduce calories. I also use additional Parmesan." - MARYSTEVE
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Variation: fresh spinach
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken and garlic until chicken is almost cooked. Reduce heat and stir in salt, pepper, cream, pesto and Parmesan cheese. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside. Stir in cooked pasta.
*Variation: add fresh spinach to cream & pesto and cook until slightly limp; continue