Sunny Morning Doughnuts
Sunny Morning Doughnuts are the best way to wake up on Sunday Funday. Fill your home with the sweet smells of freshly fried doughnuts and watch as your whole family gathers around ready to enjoy these treats warm right out of the fryer. Theses doughnuts are kept pretty traditional with a dusting of confectioners' sugar right when they come out of the fryer. Serve with milk, juice, and, of course, freshly brewed coffee.
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- oil for deep frying
- confectioners' sugar for dusting the finished doughnuts
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 110mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large bowl, combine 4 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. These are the dry ingredients.
In a separate large bowl combine the eggs, milk, oil, orange juice, and peel; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Turn out dough onto a floured surface and roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter.
In a large, deep skillet on the stove, an electric skillet, or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Then, drain on paper towels. Dust warm doughnuts with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately.
Cool doughnuts completely, then wrap doughnuts in foil and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag. Doughnuts may be kept frozen for up to 3 months.
TO REHEAT FROZEN DOUGHNUTS:
Remove foil and thaw at room temperature. Warm if desired in a microwave for about 20 seconds. Dust warm doughnuts with confectioners’ sugar.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Mac & Cheese 4.1/5 (94 Votes)
- Grilled Steakhouse Steak Tips 4.3/5 (43 Votes)
- Nonna's Italian Ricotta Cookies 4.7/5 (28 Votes)
- Tri-Layered Vegetable Kugel 4.9/5 (8 Votes)
- People-Pleasing Cinnamon Rolls 4.5/5 (38 Votes)
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Malasadas, Hawaiian Donuts 4.2/5 (56 Votes)