Crisp Cheese-Filled Eggplant Sandwiches, Pomegranate Molasses
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large long eggplant cut crosswise
- into sixteen 1/3"-thk rounds
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 5 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 4 ounces coarsely-grated sharp provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Pomegranate molasses
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray, then brush each with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Mix panko, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl. Place flour in another medium bowl. Whisk egg and 1/4 cup water in shallow bowl.
Coat each eggplant slice with flour; shake off excess, then dip into egg mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Coat with panko. Place on prepared sheets.
Bake until bottoms are golden brown, turning once, about 12 minutes per side. Cool slightly on sheets. Maintain oven temperature.
Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Cool slightly. Mix in both cheeses, parsley, and basil. Season with pepper.
Divide cheese mixture among 8 eggplant slices on 1 baking sheet; spread to cover. Top with remaining eggplant, pressing to compact and making 8 sandwiches. Bake until eggplant is crisp, about 15 minutes. Divide sandwiches among 4 plates; drizzle with pomegranate molasses.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 522; total fat, 25 g; saturated fat, 11 g; cholesterol, 89 mg; fiber, 5 g
You'll also love
- Creamy White Bean Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cream Of Broccoli Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornmeal Pancakes With Honey-Pecan... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut Pad Thai 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chocolate-Caramel Tartlets,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Eggplant Marinara 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Arugula Salad With, Oranges,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised Lamb In Pomegranate Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)