Buttery Barley Risotto With Parmesan Cheese
- 6 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted European-style butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups pearl barley - (abt 13 oz) rinsed, drained
- 1 package portobello mushrooms, 3" dia - (6 oz) stemmed, gills
- scraped, caps sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese - (abt 1 1/2 oz)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Bring broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low and cover to keep warm.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add barley; stir until coated with butter, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup broth; simmer, stirring often, until broth is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until barley is tender but still firm to bite and risotto is creamy, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, herbs, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter to risotto; stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide risotto among bowls and serve.
This recipe yields 6 first-course servings.