Braised Short Ribs With Garbanzo Beans And Raisins
- GARBANZO BEANS:
- 1 1/2 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 celery stalk halved
- 1 medium carrot halved
- 4 large fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- SHORT RIBS:
- 8 meaty short ribs - (3" to 4" long)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 5 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves unpeeled
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 2 fresh tarragon sprigs
- 8 hot cherry peppers from jar drained, left whole
For Garbanzo Beans: Place beans in large saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches and bring to boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
Drain beans. Heat oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add rosemary and thyme. Return beans to pan. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer beans uncovered until almost tender, about 45 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Continue to simmer until beans are tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water to keep covered if necessary, about 45 minutes longer. Add raisins; season beans with pepper. Cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
For Short Ribs: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large wide ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add short ribs in single layer and brown on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer ribs to plate.
Add onion, carrot, celery, 2 thyme sprigs, and garlic to pot. Sauté until vegetables brown, about 10 minutes. Return ribs to pot in single layer, meat-side down. Add broth, vinegar, tarragon sprigs, and remaining 3 thyme sprigs and bring to simmer (broth will not cover ribs). Bake uncovered until ribs are tender, about 1 hour 45 minutes.
Using oven mitts, transfer short ribs to stove top. Tilt pot; spoon off fat from surface. Drain bean-raisin mixture. Add cherry peppers and drained bean-raisin mixture. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Braised Lamb Shanks On Soft... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- BLT Bow Ties 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Eggs With Tomato-Ham Sauce... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Avocado And Yogurt Dip With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Aji Amarillo-Pineapple Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken And White Bean Chili 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Black Bean, Yellow Pepper, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Irish Soda Bread With Raisins And... 0/5 (0 Votes)