Baked Eggs With Tomato-Ham Sauce And Asparagus
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 12 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 6 ounces jamon serrano or prosciutto chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes in puree (abt 3/4 of 28-oz can)
- 12 ounces asparagus trimmed
- 8 eggs
- 2/3 cup grated manchego or Romano cheese - (abt 2 1/2 oz)
- Fresh Italian parsley sprigs
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add jamon and dried crushed red pepper and stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes. Simmer until mixture mounds on spoon, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender. Drain. Rinse under cold water and drain well. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover tomato sauce and asparagus separately and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease four, 5- to 6-inch-diameter shallow earthenware casseroles or baking dishes with olive oil. Divide sauce among dishes. Make large well in center of sauce in each dish. Break 2 eggs into each well. Sprinkle eggs with pepper and then cheese.
Arrange asparagus around edge of dishes. Cover with foil. Bake until eggs are almost set, about 12 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.