- 6 tablespoons chilled butter - (3/4 stick)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves with skin
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 cup coarsely-chopped pitted oil-cured
- black olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers rinsed
- 1/4 cup Sherry
- 1/3 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 ripe avocado halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Melt 2 tablespoons butter with vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all onions; cook until deep brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add sugar and sauté until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup vinegar; sauté until almost all liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Transfer to small bowl.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Mix salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and pepper in small bowl. Rub chicken breasts all over with spice mixture. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken breasts, skin-side down. Sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to baking sheet. Keep warm in oven.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 20 seconds. Add caramelized onions, 1/4 cup vinegar, tomato, olives, capers, and Sherry. Cook until liquid reduces slightly, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, chicken broth, lime juice, sage, thyme, and rosemary. Add avocado; cook until sauce thickens, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Add 4 tablespoons butter and stir until blended into sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Place 1 chicken breast on each of 6 plates; spoon sauce over.
This recipe yields 6 servings.