Triple-Chocolate Pudding Pie With Cappuccino Cream
- 9 whole chocolate graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chopped (do not use unsweetened)
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate-covered espresso beans
For Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Finely grind graham crackers, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter and blend to moisten crumbs. Firmly press mixture into 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Bake until crust sets, about 8 minutes. Cool.
For Filling: Whisk sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in 1 cup half-and-half. Whisk in remaining 2 1/2 cups half-and-half and yolks. Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils, whisking constantly, about 12 minutes.
Remove from heat. Add both chocolates and butter; whisk until melted and smooth. Mix in vanilla. Transfer filling to crust. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of filling and chill until filling sets, at least 6 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.)
For Topping: Beat all ingredients in large bowl until peaks form. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewhisk to thicken before serving, if necessary.)
Peel plastic off pie. Cut pie into wedges. Spoon dollop of cream atop each slice. Garnish with chocolate-covered espresso beans and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Market tip: Chocolate-covered espresso beans are sold at specialty foods stores, cookware stores, and coffee bars.