Smoked Salmon And Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 2 cups cubed (1/2") French baguette with
- crusts - (lightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound russet potatoes peeled, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped shallots
- 1/2 pound hot-smoked salmon fillets skinned, and flaked into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Additional sour cream
- Fresh dill sprigs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange bread on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, about 5 minutes, then cool.
Butter 11- by 7-inch glass baking dish.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add potatoes. Stir to coat and arrange in single layer. Cover and cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 8 minutes. Uncover; increase heat to medium-high, and cook until potatoes are lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add shallots and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently mix in bread, salmon, chives, and minced dill. Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
Whisk eggs and next 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend well. Pour custard over potato mixture in dish. Let stand 15 minutes, occasionally pressing bread into custard. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake casserole, uncovered, until custard is set, about 30 minutes. Cut into squares and top with additional sour cream, capers, and dill sprigs; serve hot.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Roasted Red Onions 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Pear And Cinnamon Clafouti 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Bell Pepper Sauce II 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Spicy Shrimp And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna With Herbed Aioli 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Salmon Fillets With Creamy... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Potato Salad With Blue... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Deviled Eggs With Sour Cream,... 0/5 (0 Votes)