Ultimate macaroni and cheese-David Venable
I usually modify this using smoked gouda, pepper jack and whatever other cheeses I have in the house. I usually use elbow macaroni...substituting whole wheat pasta when I can. This recipe came from David Venable's Comfort Foods that take you Home...well worth buying!
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 pound cavatappi, rotini or fusilli
- 3 C. half and half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 C. shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 1 C. shredded mozzarella
- 1 C. shredded monterey jack
- 8 oz. Velveeta, cubed
- 1/4 C. (1 oz.) freshly grated Parmigiano-reggiano
- 1 C. milk
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 1 Tbsp. salt and pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite (about 8-10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
3. While pasta is cooking, heat the half-and-half in a large saucepan over medium heat. Just before the mixture starts to boil, remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then whisk in 2 C. of the warm half-and-half. (This keeps the eggs from scrambling.) Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and whisk to combine.
5. Stir 1 C. Cheddar, all the mozzarella, monterey jack, velveets, and parmiagiano-reggiano, and the milk into the saucepan. Heat the saucepan on medium-low heat to help melt the cheese. Whisk in the mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, remaining salt and pepper. Do not let the mixture boil.
6. Toss the cooked pasta and cheese sauce together and then pour into a 4-quart baking dish. top with the remaining cheddar.
7. Bake 20 minutes.
8. Sprinkle an even layer of crumbled bacon on top and bake 10 minutes more.
You'll also love
- A Healthy Halibut Dinner 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Lima Beans with Pancetta & Olive... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken Artichoke Lemon Pesto Pasta 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Toss 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Linguine w/Arugula, Garlic &... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Shrimp & Kale Pesto Fettuccine... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- One-Bowl Microwave Macaroni and... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)