- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut 1/2" cubes
- 6 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening cut 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 cups fresh raspberries - (abt 12 oz)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries - (abt 12 oz)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup tapioca
- 1/4 cup crème de cassis (black-currant-flavored liqueur)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar see * Note
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
* Note: Also called turbinado or demerara sugar; available at natural foods stores and most supermarkets.
Whisk flour and salt in large bowl. Add butter and shortening and rub in with fingertips until pea-size pieces form. Add sour cream and 3 tablespoons ice water. Stir just until dough comes together. Gather dough into ball and divide into 2 pieces. Flatten each into disk. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated. Let dough soften slightly at room temperature before continuing.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish with nonstick spray. Roll out 1 dough disk on lightly floured surface to 12- to 13-inch round. Line prepared pie dish with dough. Roll out remaining disk on lightly floured surface to 12- to 13-inch round.
Mix raspberries, blueberries, 1 cup sugar, tapioca, and crème de cassis in large bowl. Spoon berry mixture into crust-lined pie dish. Top with second crust, trimming excess dough. Crimp edges together. Cut 3/4-inch hole in center of top crust.
Whisk egg and milk in small bowl to blend. Brush some of mixture over crust. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake pie 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking until crust browns and juices bubble thickly (cover crust with foil after 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning), about 1 hour.
Cool about 2 hours. (Pie can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Cut pie into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.
This recipe yields 10 servings.
Fresh berries and crème de cassis (made with black currants) fill this flavorful pie. The addition of sour cream makes the crust exceptionally tender.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (222 Votes)
- Incredible Raspberry Cheesecake... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- Raspberry Jalapeno Chicken Wings.... 4.4/5 (83 Votes)
- Pasta With Lobster, Wild... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Green Beans With Orange And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)