Strawberry Hand Pies
Easy-to-assemble hand-held pies make a satisfying treat any time of the day.
- 2 cups (8.5 oz) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into pats
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) cold milk
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen strawberries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Instant ClearJel or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg, beaten; for sealing dough
- Topping (optional)
- Coarse white sparkling sugar
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1) To make the pastry: Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
2) Work in the butter until pecan-sized lumps form.
3) Add the combined egg and milk, mixing to make a cohesive dough.
4) Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a 3" x 5" rectangle, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5) To make the filling: Combine all the ingredients except the egg in a saucepan set over medium heat.
6) Cook until the mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. and cool to room temperature.
7) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
8) To assemble the pies: Place one piece of dough on a lightly floured work surface, and roll it into a 9" x 12" rectangle. Trim the edges to make them straight. Cut out nine 3" x 4" rectangles. Repeat with the remaining dough.
9) Divide the filling among nine of the rectangles, using a heaping tablespoon for each. Brush some beaten egg along the edges.
10) Cut a vent into the remaining rectangles, using a decorative cutter.
11) Top the filled rectangles with the vented rectangles. Press along the edges with the tines of a fork or a crimper to seal.
12) Brush the tops of the pies with beaten egg, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired. Transfer to the baking sheet.
13) Bake the pies for 28 to 33 minutes, until they're a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on the pan.