Napa Valley Cabernet Burgers
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon - (750 ml)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 1 cup coarsely-grated extra-sharp
- white cheddar cheese - (packed)
- 4 squares focaccia - (4 1/2"), halved horizontally
- 8 large tomato slices
- 2 cups arugula
Boil wine and shallots in medium saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon butter and brown sugar; whisk until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Mix remaining 8 tablespoons butter and rosemary in small bowl. Set aside.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Mix beef, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup wine-shallot mixture in bowl. Form meat into four 5-inch squares or rounds. Brush grill rack with oil. Grill burgers until brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn burgers and brush with wine-shallot mixture. Continue grilling burgers until cooked to desired doneness, turning and brushing occasionally with wine-shallot mixture, about 4 minutes longer for medium-rare. Sprinkle with cheese after last turn and grill until cheese melts.
Spread cut sides of bread with rosemary butter. Grill, cut-side down, until golden, about 2 minutes. Arrange bread, grilled-side up, on plates. Top bottom halves with burgers, then tomatoes and arugula. Cover with top halves of bread.
This recipe yields 4 servings.