Pecan Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies
Dulce de leche, a Latin American caramelized milk confection, is available at many grocery and specialty food stores.
- 3/4 cup(175 mL) (175 mL) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp(5 mL) vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups(500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsweetened desiccated coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dulce de leche
In large bowl, beat together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy; beat in egg yolk, vanilla and salt. In separate bowl, stir together flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the pecans and coconut; stir into butter mixture in 2 additions to make smooth dough.
Divide dough in half; form each into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) wide log. Roll each in remaining pecans, pressing to adhere. Wrap each and refrigerate for 1 hour or for up to 24 hours.
Cut logs into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices. Arrange, 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, on parchment paper–lined baking sheets. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.
Spread bottoms of half of the cookies with about 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dulce de leche each. Top with remaining cookies to make sandwiches.