Hearty Lamb And Vegetable Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb stew meat cut 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper cut 1" pieces
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 strips lemon peel - (3" by 1/2")
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 medium carrots - (abt 8 oz) peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- Chopped fresh parsley
Place lamb in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add flour and toss to coat.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add half of lamb and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer lamb to medium bowl. Repeat with remaining lamb.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pot. Add bell pepper, onion, lemon peel, garlic, and bay leaves. Sauté until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Return lamb and any accumulated juices to pot. Add broth and tomato paste. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 50 minutes.
Add carrots; cover and simmer until lamb and carrots are tender, about 20 minutes longer. Add peas. Simmer uncovered until peas are tender and gravy thickens, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper; ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe yields 4 servings.