Grilled Flat Iron Steak With Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup peeled garlic cloves - (abt 15)
- 1/3 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 2 flat iron steaks - (1 1/2 lbs ea)
- 3 cups oak- or hickory-wood smoke chips soaked in cold
- water for at least 30 minutes, drained
- 1 disposable 8"-square foil baking pan
Finely chop first 7 ingredients in processor. Set sauce aside.
Cook butter in small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until brown, about 2 minutes. Add sauce; stir 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Place soaked wood chips in foil pan. Place foil pan directly atop coals on barbecue. When chips begin to smoke, place steaks on grill rack directly over chips and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steaks from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice steaks across grain. Serve with chimichurri sauce.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.