Crostini With Mushrooms, Prosciutto, And Blue Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed, and caps chopped
- 4 ounces crimini mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese - (abt 2 oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped thinly-sliced prosciutto - (abt 2 1/2 oz)
- 18 diagonal bread slices, 1/2" thk (cut from 1 sourdough baguette)
- Chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all mushrooms and garlic and sauté until mushrooms are cooked through and brown, about 10 minutes. Add cream and boil until liquid is completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add blue cheese and stir until cheese melts. Mix in prosciutto. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mushroom topping to bowl. (Mushroom topping can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Bake until just golden, about 5 minutes. Mound 1 generous tablespoon mushroom topping on each slice. Return to oven; bake until topping is heated through, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
This recipe yields about 18 pieces.
This sophisticated appetizer is one of Bonnie's greatest party hits.