- # 4 large (15 to 20 count) shrimp, peeled, deviened, and butterflied
- # 1/2 cup cornstarch
- # 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- # 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- # 4 egg whites
- # 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, or 2 1/2 cups shredded fresh coconut
- # Canola or peanut oil, for frying
Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel. In a small bowl combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, and cayenne. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy. In another bowl, place the coconut. Coat the shrimp with the cornstarch and shake off any excess. Dip into the egg white and then press into the coconut to get full coverage. Try to keep 1 hand dry, this will keep things a little cleaner. In a large pan, heat the oil to 350 degrees F and gently submerge the shrimp, 6 at a time. Fry for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove them to a rack to drain. Serve with Peanut Sauce.