Chocolate-Mint Truffle Cups
- 34 foil 1 1/4"-round petit four cups see * Note
- 16 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped (do not use unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces good-quality white chocolate coarsely chopped (such as Lindt or Baker's)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely-crushed red-and-white-striped
- hard peppermint candies
- Candied violets, green candy decors, or coarsely-crushed hard peppermint candies
* Note: Available at cake and candy supply stores and specialty foods stores.
Place foil cups on baking sheet. Stir bittersweet chocolate in medium metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water) until chocolate melts and candy thermometer registers 115 degrees. Remove from over water. Using 1-inch-wide pastry brush, coat insides of foil cups with enough chocolate to coat thickly to top edge of cups (rewarm chocolate over simmering water as necessary to maintain temperature). Reserve remaining bittersweet chocolate. Place cups on baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
Bring cream to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Reduce heat to low; add white chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in extract, then sour cream. Cool to barely lukewarm, about 10 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies.
Spoon enough white chocolate mixture into center of each chocolate cup to fill to within 1/8 inch of top (about 1 level teaspoonful per cup). Refrigerate until filling sets, about 30 minutes.
Rewarm remaining melted bittersweet chocolate to 115 degrees in bowl set over barely simmering water. Spoon enough chocolate (about 1 teaspoon) over filling in each cup to cover completely. Tap on counter to level. Top each with candied violet, green candy decor, or crushed peppermint candies. Chill cups until firm, about 1 hour. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead; refrigerate in single layer in airtight container. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.)
This recipe yields 34 pieces.