Bulgur Pilaf With Dates, Dried Apricots, And Toasted Walnut
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups coarse or medium bulgur (available at natural foods stores and supermarkets)
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cinnamon stick broken in half
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cans low-salt chicken broth - (14 oz ea)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely-chopped walnuts toasted
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add bulgur and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in dates, apricots, cinnamon stick, and curry powder. Add broth; bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until bulgur is tender and broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pilaf to bowl. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve.
This recipe yields 8 side-dish servings.
Per serving: calories, 266; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 2 mg.