Bibb Lettuce Salad With Candied Walnuts, Oranges, And Feta
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Bibb lettuce head leaves torn
- 2/3 cup coarsely-crumbled feta cheese - (abt 3 oz) (or blue cheese)
- 2 oranges
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Scatter nuts on rimmed baking sheet. Add 2 tablespoons water and sugar; toss until sugar dissolves and syrup coats nuts. Roast until water evaporates and nuts are crisp, stirring once, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheet.
Whisk vinegar, orange peel, and mustard in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in walnut and olive oils. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Combine lettuce and cheese in large bowl. Cut peel and pith off oranges. Cut between membranes, releasing orange segments. Add segments and walnuts to salad. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve, passing remaining dressing.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You can substitute Boston or butter lettuce if Bibb isn't available. Save even more prep time by using packaged candied walnuts or other nuts that are now widely available and are often displayed in the produce or snack aisles of the supermarket.
You'll also love
- Beef Stroganoff With Tomatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Barbecued Rack Of Lamb With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Salmon With Cranberry-Thyme... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple-Cranberry Shortcakes With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tuna Salad On Olive Bread With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Steamed Mussels With Lemon-Saffron... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roast Beef, Red Pepper, Spinach,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Honey-Brandy Oranges 0/5 (0 Votes)