Baked Yams With Cinnamon-Chili Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder plus
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico chili powder see * Note
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes)
* Note: A pure chili powder, sold in the spice section of some supermarkets. If unavailable, substitute an equal quantity of regular mild chili powder.
Using electric mixer, beat first 5 ingredients in medium bowl until fluffy. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line large baking sheet with foil. Place yams on sheet; bake until tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Slit each yam lengthwise. Spoon 1 tablespoon butter into each. Serve, passing remaining butter separately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.