Toasted Baguette With Tomatoes And Anchovies
- 2 1/4 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes halved, seeded
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 French-bread baguette - (16 oz) halved lengthwise, halves cut diagonallly 4"-long lightly toasted
- Additional extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 anchovy fillets - (to 20)
Using coarse grater held over medium bowl, grate tomatoes down to skin. Discard skin. Add 1/3 cup olive oil and garlic to grated tomatoes. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper. (Tomatoes can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Place toast pieces on platter. Drizzle with additional oil. Place anchovies in small bowl. Serve toast, passing tomatoes and anchovies alongside.
This recipe yields 8 servings.