Mini Meatballs In Saffron Sauce
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 8 ounces ground veal
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large egg beaten to blend
- 1 slice French bread, 1/2" thick crust removed, soaked in water 3 minutes and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour as needed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth or more if needed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
Mix pork, veal, 1 tablespoon parsley, half of garlic, egg, bread, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl to blend. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Dust meatballs with flour. Set aside.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and sauté until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to plate.
Add onion to skillet; reduce heat to medium and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in paprika, then 1 cup broth and wine. Return meatballs with any accumulated juices to skillet. Bring to simmer. Cover and cook until meatballs are tender, about 25 minutes.
Uncover; add 2 tablespoons parsley, remaining garlic, and saffron. Simmer until sauce thickens, turning meatballs occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer, thinning with broth if necessary.)
Place meatballs with sauce on platter. Top with 1 tablespoon parsley.
This recipe yields about 32 meatballs.