Lamb And Shiitake Stew With Tomato-Chianti Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound well-trimmed lamb shoulder meat or shoulder chops cut into 3/4" cubes
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed, and caps cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 2 strips orange part of orange peel/ 3" by 1/2"
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 cup Chianti or Sangiovese wine
- 10 Kalamata olives pitted, halved (or other brine-cured black olives)
- 1 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta) freshly cooked
Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Add lamb to pot; sauté until light brown, about 5 minutes. Add next 5 ingredients; sauté until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices and wine; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lamb is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Add olives to stew; simmer uncovered until sauce reduces and thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season lamb stew with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm over medium heat, adding water by tablespoonfuls to thin sauce if desired.)
Divide orzo among 4 plates. Top with lamb stew and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Irish Soda Bread With Raisins And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Individual Cheesecakes With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Heirloom Tomato Salad With Blue... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Lemon-Parsley Veal Chops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ginger Shrimp, Sugar Snap Pea, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- German Potato Salad With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fried Green Tomato 'BLT' 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butterflied Leg Of Lamb With Thyme... 0/5 (0 Votes)