Baked Eggplant Marinara
- 8 center-cut 1/2"-thk eggplant rounds (from 2 small eggplants)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- All-purpose flour as needed
- 2 eggs beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (made from crustless French bread)
- 2 1/2 ounces freshly-grated Parmesan cheese - (3/4 cup)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cups purchased marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated mozzarella cheese - (3 oz)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil baking sheet.
Sprinkle eggplant rounds with salt and pepper. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl. Coat eggplant rounds with flour, then eggs, then breadcrumb mixture, patting to adhere.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 eggplant rounds to skillet. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side; transfer to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and eggplant rounds.
Spread 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese over each round. Top each with sauce and mozzarella cheese, dividing equally. Bake until rounds are heated through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
This recipe yields 8 first-course servings.
Connie makes this ahead of time and refrigerates it, then reheats it before serving.