Apple And Dried-Cherry Lattice Pie
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening cut into pieces
- 5 tablespoons cold whole milk
- 5 Granny Smith apples - (1 3/4 lbs total) peeled, cored, cut 1/4"-thk, then crosscut in thirds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup dried Bing cherries
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
For Crust: Blend both flours, sugar, and salt in processor until just combined. Add butter and shortening. Using on/off turns, process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk. Using on/off turns, process until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; divide into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Flatten larger piece into disk and smaller piece into rectangle. Wrap each in plastic; chill 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)
For Filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place apples on large rimmed baking sheet; toss with 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and lemon juice. Roast until apples are tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in cherries, brown sugar, and vanilla. Cool completely.
Butter 9-inch glass pie dish. Roll out dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to pie dish; trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Spoon filling into crust.
Roll out dough rectangle on floured surface to 11- by 6-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 8 strips. Arrange 4 strips across pie, spacing evenly. Place remaining 4 strips across first 4 strips, forming lattice pattern. Fold dough overhang over ends of strips; crimp edge. Brush strips and edge with 1 tablespoon butter.
Bake until pie is golden and filling is bubbling, covering edge with foil if browning too quickly, about 40 minutes. Cool 45 minutes. Dust pie with powdered sugar.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Wild-Mushroom And Potato Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Scaloppine Saltimbocca 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet-And-Sour Cabbage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Turkey Wraps With Mango And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rustic Pear Tart With Late-Harvest... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Puff Pastry Apple Tarts Glazed... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chocolate-Cherry Tart 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple, Dried Cherry, And Walnut... 0/5 (0 Votes)