Pike Place Market Salad
- 1 T sugar
- 3 T coarsely chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 3 T water
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 T finely chopped shallots
- 1 T champagne vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 8 cups herb salad mix
- 2 cups berries and/or pitted sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) blue cheese crumbled
1. To prepare nuts, place sugar in a small skillet over medium heat; cook 90 seconds until sugar dissolved evenly and doesn't burn. Reduce heat, stir in walnuts. Cook over low heat 30 seconds or until golden. Spread mixture onto foil coated with cooking spray. Cool completely, break into small pieces.
2. To prepare dressing, place cider in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons (about 5 minutes). Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to pan. Bring cider mixture to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in shallots, vinegar, salt and pepper; let cool.
3. To prepare salad, place salad mix in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to coat. Divide evenly amount 4 plates; top with berries, cheese and walnuts. Serve immediately.