- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/4 cups finely diced onion
- 3/4 cup finely diced bell pepper
- 1 cup undrained Rotel tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups crawfish tails, cooked
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 cup very concentrated Basic Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Blonde Roux
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
16 Heat butter on high heat until almost melted. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté’s until onions begins to brown and moisture is gone.
17 Add undrained Rotel tomatoes to deglaze pan, Stir well and bring to simmer. Add cayenne, black pepper, granulated garlic, chili powder, and crawfish tails and stir well. Bring to a hot simmer. Allow mixture to brown a little on the bottom of the pot by not stirring too much. Add cream to deglaze pan, stirring well. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to a medium simmer: stirring occasionally.
18 Add stock and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thicken sauce as desired with roux. (You may or may not use all the roux to reach desired texture.) Allow for some thickening to occur when cheese is added. Simmer over medium heat. Add cheese and salt, a little at a time, stirring until completely blended.
19 This recipe makes about 2 quarts.