Chili Cornbread Bake
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans with chili gravy
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or small white beans, drained
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Milk and eggs (see corn muffin mix for amounts)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and Monterey jack cheese blend
- Light sour cream (optional)
Adapted from fromvalerieskitchen.com
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook turkey, celery and onion until turkey, breaking up the turkey with a spoon. Cook till turkey is no longer pink. Add garlic, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and beans. Turn heat down to low and allow to simmer while preparing cornbread.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a deep 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray. Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions and pour batter into prepared baking dish. Remove chili mixture from heat and spoon over the batter. Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes. Edges of cornbread should be nicely browned and center should appear to be set. Carefully remove dish from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and bake 5-10 minutes more, until cheese is melted.
Serve with tortilla chips and top with sour cream if desired.