- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 pounds red cabbage - (1 head) cut 1/2"-wide strips
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup apple juice
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions; sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Mix in next 7 ingredients. Add cabbage; cook until cabbage begins to wilt, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
Cover; simmer until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring often, about 17 minutes. Uncover; add apple and apple juice and cook until apple is crisp-tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.