Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter cut small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening cut small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water or more if needed
- 2 large yams - (1 3/4 lbs) (red-skinned sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white beaten to blend
For Crust: Mix flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drizzle 3 tablespoons ice water over mixture. Process until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
Roll out dough on floured surface to 14-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Fold overhang under. Crimp edges decoratively. (Crust can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill.)
For Filling: Pierce potatoes with fork. Cook in microwave on high until tender, about 6 minutes per side. Cut open; cool completely. Scrape potato flesh into bowl; mash until smooth. Measure enough potato puree to equal 1 1/2 cups.
Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 400 degrees. Place puree in large bowl. Whisk in brown sugar and next 6 ingredients. Brush crust with beaten egg white. Transfer filling to crust.
Bake pie until filling is puffed around edges and set in center, about 45 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; refrigerate.)
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Sweet Corn And Basil Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Barbecue Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Turkey Wraps With Mango And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scallops With "Melted" Leeks And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato, Apple, And Sage... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Tart With Pecans And... 0/5 (0 Votes)