No Bake Granola Cakes
Nutrition stats [1 granola cake]: calories 189; fat 15g [all good fats!]; saturated fat 5g; carbohydrates 13g; dietary fiber 2g; sugars 5g; protein 4g
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 2 3 tbsp brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or honey – if honey is used, the recipe is no longer vegan*
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + extra for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- Note: this recipe can be made sweetener free by removing the brown rice syrup completely and replacing it with extra almond butter. I made a batch with no sweetener and it tasted fantastic!
Adapted from healthfulpursuit.com
Combine almond butter, rice syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until drippy/liquidy stirring every minute or so. Be sure it doesn’t burn!
Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour heated almond butter mixture into nuts and seeds bowl, and stir until all pieces are coated.
Spoon mixture into large muffin liners or muffin tin [the mixture will be very clumpy and you will doubt that it will all hold together, but don't worry... it will!], pressing down firmly on each one and flattening with hands.
Sprinkle with coconut and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
Are you more in the mood for a cookie? No problem! Add:
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
To the mixture above.
Form into cookies, sprinkle with coconut and bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating.